Friday, December 16, 2011

Recipe: Monkey Bread Muffins

So let's rewind, back to December 2011. I had just finished closing my business and moving all of my stuff to storage, and it's my first week as a stay-at-home-mom in about 3 years... I'm bored out of my mind, not sure how to pass the time with my 2 1/2 year old who has either tagged along with me to work or gone to daycare since I opened my store.

We decided to make a fun breakfast of Monkey Bread Muffins! I don't follow a recipe for these, I just kinda wing it, but here's about how it works :)

First, get together your ingredients...

  • Sugar (I used Organic Raw Cane Sugar)
  • Grands Biscuits (any refrigerated biscuit should work)
  • Cinnamon
  • Powdered Sugar (Not Pictured)
  • Water

Next, cut your biscuits into quarters... I used kitchen scissors to cut them into little triangles





Next you roll each quarter into a ball (or let your 2 1/2 year old squeeze them and THEN you roll them into balls!)





Put the balls into the plastic bag with about 1/4 cup each of Sugar and Cinnamon - I put 8 balls in at a time (2 biscuits worth) because that's what fits in one large muffin cup (we use the BIG muffin pans for this, but you can use the standard sized muffin pan and just put 5 or 6 "balls" in) ---- AND SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE!

After you have shaken the living daylights out of those balls of dough and cinnamon and sugar, you put them in the muffin pan, like so





Bake on 350 for about 20-30 minutes (will depend on your oven), start checking them around 20 minutes, pull gently on the top "ball" and if it pulls off some and still looks dough-y, it's not done, put it back in for 5 more minutes... While this bakes, work on your icing!

Put about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar in a cup, and slowly add warm water, stir with a fork until it reaches a thick enough consistency so that it will drizzle off your fork





After your muffins have finished baking, allow them to cool for 10 minutes or so, and then add your icing!





And then enjoy with Coffee or Hot Cocoa! As you can see here, my beautiful assistant enjoyed her hot cocoa BEFORE her Monkey Bread Muffin :)

No comments: